Business Administration - Accounting
This program is designed specifically for students who intend to pursue a career in accounting. Students may study part-time or full-time with day or evening courses.
Students in the Accounting program have two alternative streams of study. They may:
• Chartered Accountant (CA)
• Certified General Accountant (CGA)
• Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Keyano College offers courses which may be accepted by the following professional organizations. For more information about completing and receiving credit for transfer courses, students must contact each professional organization directly. Courses are subject to change and Mount Royal does not take responsibility for inaccurate information provided by the professional association.
Alberta High School Diploma, or equivalent, with:
A minimum of 60% (C-) in Math 30/30 Pure or 65% (C-) in Math 33/30 Applied and
A minimum of 60% (C-) in English 30/30-1 or 65% in English 33/30 (C-) in English 33/30-2
Mature students (students who are 21 years or older) may be admitted by:
1) The completion of the above Math and English courses only (with the grades specified) or
2) A pass mark on the College Placement Assessment. (Contact the Office of the Registrar 780-791-4801 to arrange to write this exam.); or
3) Apply as a “Special” student. Special students may take up to four courses (one per term) without meeting the Admission Requirements.
Accounting graduates will learn the theory of accounting and finance for employment in a wide variety of accounting positions in public and private sectors. An accounting diploma also puts a student well on their way to earning a professional designation (CGA, CMA, or CA).
Students interested in Co-op Education must first enter the Business Administration Accounting program as regular full-time students. Students will be eligible to enter Co-op Education in the year in which they will complete the Business Administration Certificate provided that the student has maintained a sessional GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Completion of the entire Co-op Education program of academic and work semesters requires one additional year relative to the regular (non Co-op) program.
BUS 223 (optional)
Graduates from the program will be able to:
• Prepare financial statements, budgets and tax returns
• Design and administer accounting and information systems that include records of assets, liabilities and business transactions
• Prepare budgets, tax returns and financial statements
• Analyze financial information to assist in planning financial management policies, business strategies and the control and use of business assets
• Provide personal and corporate income tax and estate planning services
• Provide internal and external auditing services make recommendations regarding solutions to business and financial problems
• Provide support in litigation matters
• Serve as a bankruptcy trustee and business valuator
|Term l||(September - December)||15|
|BUS 100||Business Communications||3|
|BUS 103||Introductory Business Computing||3|
|BUS 110||Business Mathematics||3|
|BUS 130||Introductory Accounting I||3|
|Term ll||(January - April)||15|
|BUS 101||Report Writing and Presentations||3|
|BUS 102||Interpersonal Skills for Business||3|
|BUS 111||Statistics I||3|
|BUS 131||Introductory Accounting II||3|
|Term l||(September - December)||16.5|
|BUS 230||Intermediate Financial Accounting I||3|
|BUS 232||Introduction to Corporate Finance||3|
|BUS 233||Management Accounting I||3|
|BUS 263||Business Simulation||1.5|
|BUS 270||Organizational Behaviour||3|
|Term ll||(January - April)||16.5|
|BUS 204||Accounting Software Applications||3|
|BUS 231||Intermediate Financial Accounting II||3|
|BUS 234||Management Accounting II||3|
|BUS 260||Business Law||3|
|BUS 264||Integrated Case||1.5|
For information on transfer to various post-secondary institutions, please refer to the Alberta Transfer Guide.
Students who intend to seek a degree should contact the Chair of Business Administration for information on how to transfer to the following institutions. Other transfer options beyond what is mentioned in this calendar are likely available. Please contact the Program Chair for more information.