A range of services are available to Keyano students and prospective students who have documented permanent or temporary disabilities.
These services may include:
- Academic Strategy Instruction
- Adaptive Technology
- Extended time
- Classroom accommodations
o Photocopy of notes
o CRN paper
- Reduced course load
How are Services Determined?
The Disability Counsellor will discuss the appropriate accommodations and services with the student and possibly with the program head or instructors. The following will be taken into consideration:
- How the disability affects the student's learning
- Accommodations provided to the student in previous educational settings
- Recommendations of referring professionals
- Course requirements
- Availability of services and resources
- Accommodations that will maximize the student's learning and participation levels
- Feasibility of accommodations based on the parties involved ( the student, the program, LAP, other program students and funding sources)
- Evaluation of safety measures including the student's personal safety and that of others
Exam accommodations are meant to remove any barriers that might be caused by your disability to enable you to be successful in your studies at Keyano. They are adjustments to exam conditions to ensure that you have the opportunity to fully demonstrate your masteryof the material being tested. These adjustments may include: extended time, alternate formatted exams, readers, semi-private location, and access to assistive technology.
As soon as you know your test dates:
- Fill out your section of the Test Accommodation Request form in full. (Forms are available in the Skill Centre and the Counselling Department.)
- Hand the Test Accommodation Request form to your instructor.
Contact the Skill Centre personnel to reserve a test space as soon as the Test Accommodation Request form is given to your instructor. The following information is required:
- Your name
- The test time and date
- The accommodations you require for the test